Wednesday, July 1, 2009

A Tribute to Mom

I'm still struggling with the loss of my special Mom. I
thought that writing about her funeral would help me
to deal with the grief that I'm feeling. I know that Mom
is with God, is healthier, happier, and in a glorious place.
I'm so happy for her that she's reached that place that
we all desire to be someday. That doesn't seem to
diminish the hurting in my heart. Time and God's care
will take care of me I know. I love so many people who
are praying not only for me, but for all of our family during
this time of loss.

I love Bobbi Watkins, Director of Volunteer Services at
High Point Regional Health Systems. Mom loved her
dearly also along with Sammie and Jennifer, who are
assistants. Bobbi took both of these pictures of the HPRHS
Volunteers as they stood in a salute at the end of Mom's
funeral on June 17th. They sat together during the funeral,
about 5 rows of them, wearing their burgundy volunteer
jackets. What an impression they made and our family felt
the love and support from their presence. I knew so many
of them as Mom always introduced me when I'd visit her
at the hospital.

Among this large group were some of Mom's best friends.
When you volunteer like this, you meet all kinds of people.
Mom loved people, loved working with people, and loved
helping people. These volunteers are an incredible group
of people, very special people for High Point Regional Hospital.
I love them and appreciate them for attending Mom's funeral,
for their salute to her that showed how much they loved
her. It was unquestionable how much Mom loved each of them.

Mom received numerous plants and flowers. I wish I had
taken pictures of all of them. But during my grief, I didn't.
This is the huge basket of flowers given by the High Point
Regional Hospital Volunteer Services. It was so beautiful
and symbolized the love that so many had for Mom. They
expressed to me how much they miss Mom, how she was
irreplaceable as a volunteer, as a friend. I understand.

The ribbon through the center said "Beloved Volunteer",
representing Mom's 20 years as a volunteer. She loved
being a volunteer so much. Even when she didn't feel well,
she would be at the front Information Desk doing her job.
When she couldn't be there, she felt guilty in not fulfilling
her responsibility. If Mom said that she would do something,
she did it. She believed in being honest, trustworthy and in
working hard to do the best that she could. Mom had so
many admirable qualities. I just hope that I can be partially
close to what her character represented during her lifetime.

After the afternoon funeral, after being with family at
Sherman's home, after returning to our home to be with
our children, and after they left to return home, Kit and
I returned to the cemetery. I needed to revisit Mom and
Dad, even though I know that their blessed spirits were
no longer there in their earthly bodies. I wanted pictures
of the beautiful flowers also.

The spray for Mom's casket was made of red roses, white
lilies and baby's breath. Mom loved red and I know that
she would have loved this spray of flowers.
Now Mom and Dad's bodies are resting together. I can find
peace in knowing that they are together, that they are with
their families who have passed away, and especially that
they have seen Jesus face to face. It is easy for me to see
them all smiling, especially Jesus, as he welcomes Mom to
a wonderful new world of love. We love you so much Mom
and Dad. I'm so happy that you have now found the PEACE
that only God can provide.

No comments: