Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Cafe Romantika in Istanbul

It was Monday night, June 8th, in the old historical city
of Istanbul. And a special group of American women
along with one tiny baby boy, packed themselves tightly
in a mini-van in order to travel across the city to enjoy
a beautiful, fun evening at Cafe Romantika. Wewere
honoring one special woman who would be returning
to the States very soon, then moving to another part of
the world after living in Istanbul for the last six years
with her beautiful family. I was honored to be a part of
Jenny's special group of friends. Dinner at this restaurant
was nothing like some of us have ever experienced.

Cafe Romantika was located within a beautiful park in the
city of Istanbul along the waterfront of the Bosphorus Strait.

As we walked the path to the restaurant, we spotted these
kittens. Remember, we were in Turkey and cats are very
special to everyone there...and cats are all
over the place in abundance!

The front of the restaurant...the ladies entering.
Look at the beautiful glass chandeliers inside the Cafe.
But we chose to eat outside on the waterfront so we could
enjoy the view!

A special gift for a special lady! Love the shoes!!!

There were ten of us and Cyrus. I love my daughter's friends!

Enjoying delicious food!
One of the views across the water...
In the distance you can see The Prince's Islands.

Jenny and I enjoyed our veggie crepes. Mmmmmm!

I enjoyed holding Cy more than the food!!!

One of his little yawns!

Look at those precious little hands!
Wide open, dark blue eyes...what a great picture of Cyrus!
One of many 'aunts' who love holding Cyrus.
As the sun went down, the breeze on the
waterfront grew cooler. So blankets were
provided by the Cafe. Here Cy is wrapped
up in one to keep him warm!
The sun set...the clouds moved with the breeze...it was
an enchanting evening...little did Jenny and I know that
this evening would turn into my last evening in Istanbul.
We went to Starbuck's for coffee and cheesecake after
leaving Cafe Romantika. On our way to the van, Matt
called Jenny to say that when we got home, I was to call
Kit. We didn't think anything about that in that I had not
had my usual phone chat with him that day. Once we
got back to Jenny's apartment, we made the call. Then
we heard the bad news that Mom had had a mid-brain
stroke that was fatal. I had to fly home quickly, and Jenny
said that she and Cyrus would fly with me. I was thankful
to not be flying for hours by myself. I have a wonderful
son-in-law. He quickly got on the computer to make
arrangements for our flight home. He unselfishly said okay
for his wife and newborn son to leave him with a 3 year old
and a 4 year old, so that she could be with her mother, who
needed her so much. Thank you Matt for being the man,
the husband, the father that you are. I thank God for you!

No comments: