Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Family in Boone, NC

It is always so special when we get a phone call from Adam, our youngest son. It is even more special when he can come home for a visit! His job is time-demanding on the weekends, therefore, he doesn't get away very often. I know too that Melissa is very busy with all of her class assignments and projects. She's a senior at AppState! Go Mountaineers! Will we have a 4-Peat this year with another football championship?
Melissa and Adam
When Kit and I attended AppState, things were so different. We were thrilled when Hardee's came to town! They had great milkshakes! Today, I couldn't tell you the last time that I have eaten fast food at Hardee's. Sally, Marcia, Jan, Susan and I got our thrills on the weekends doing what would be considered mundane this day and time. We used our extra lunch book tickets to eat steak in The Gold Room, top of the Student Center, on Friday or Saturday nights. It was such a treat compared to the cafeteria or Bavarian Inn, The BI! then we would make our regular visit to Rose's store! Sometimes we needed things, but usually it was just to browse. I bought many LPs there and I still have them all. AppState students today would be bored visiting Rose's and they certainly wouldn't be buying LPs! Another fun adventure was to walk downtown to King St. and visit some of the stores. Our favorite was the Hallmark store. We didn't have computers, email, cell phones and had never heard of texting! MySpace.com nor Facebook had been heard of in 1971-1975! So we were really into the stationary and cards that the Hallmark store had to offer. Our communication home and to friends far away had to be done by snailmail. Yes, we had telephones, but long distance calls were limited in that we didn't have the money to pay for them. We also loved the store downtown that sold 8-track tapes, LPs and 45s, the format for our kind of music. Marcia and I would take turns hauling our stereos to school each year so that we could listen to our music!

We also enjoyed our weekend rides around the Boone, Blowing Rock, Grandfather Mountain and Linville areas. We loved driving on the Blue Ridge Parkway. It was fun to go to the many ski resorts and watch the skiiers smoothly glide down the mountainside. We didn't have the money to snow ski, so we just watched! The Grandfather Mountain and Linville areas offered incredible views of God's world, His creation. On Sunday mornings, we attended church together and that was special. I remember one January when we had a huge snow storm that created many deep drifts. We were returning from worship, heading to the cafeteria for lunch. As we passed the Student Center, we were crossing a flat, paved area that was iced over. It was so slick and then the powerful Boone winds caught us, pushing us across the ice toward some steps. We grabbed the railing of the steps and hung on until we could steady our feet. We had many great snows during our four years in Boone. Sledding down the hill at Justice Hall on 'borrowed' cafeteria trays was so much fun!

I loved those AppState days. I loved Boone, NC. I loved the many friends that I met through classes. But I really loved Marcia, Sally, Susan and Jan. They were so special to me and God placed them into my life to help guide me, model His love for me, to help me to remember my Christian values. I didn't always remember, but their presence always helped me to get back on track in my special spiritual journey. Thank you Lord for always providing our needs, for your constant presence, and your forgiveness when we ignore or forget your presence. I'm still thankful for these wonderful friends, even though we do not live near one another anymore. We married, had children, got teaching jobs, and some of us have retired from education!

Okay, enough of my Boone memory ramblings! I know why Melissa loves living in Boone. I also know why Adam loves living in Boone, even though he graduated from ASU nearly two years ago. I don't blame them at all! It is a unique place. Although once again I say how different it is today compared to the early 70s. Lots more buildings, more commercial businesses, more chain restaurants. And the Shops at Blowing Rock...I love! We would have been in heaven if those shops had been present in the 70s!

Again I say, "Go Mountaineers!"

Adam and Kiyah - She's growing so fast!







No comments: